Aslan's Blog

My blog on life, the universe and everything ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

An American in Germany...

03 July, 2005

The Dayton Daily "Mews"



Several other interesting things have also happened to me recently, that I did not mention in my earlier entry today.

On Saturday, June 18th, I went to McDonald's for the first time in ages. While I was eating my salad and reading my magazine, an elderly gentleman asked if he could sit at my table, and I said yes. After a while we started talking, and the man asked me where I was from. When he heard I was from the US, his eyes lit up and he said "Me too!" (We'd been speaking German until then.) He said his name was Eric and he was from Dayton, Ohio, and I about fell of my chair! It was so fun to meet someone from the "old home town"! He said he'd come to Munich with the military in the 1950's and been stationed in Allach. My Dad was here in the early 50's too, but in Neubiberg. Since Dad was Air Force and Eric was Army, I rather doubt that the two ever met, but who knows? Eric had been to Luke Air Force Base in Arizona once, where my Dad was also sent just before shipping out to Germany. I don't think they were there at the same time, though. Eric stayed in Munich after his discharge, married a German lady and raised his family here. His brother still lives in Dayton. Eric lives on the Südliche Auffahrtsallee not far from Nymphenburg Castle.

And today during the Buddhist conference, I met a lady named Muriel from Dayton! She actually grew up in Washington, DC, but went to college at the University of Dayton and graduated from there in 1972, the year my family moved there (I was 9 at the time). She seems really nice! We exchanged business cards and hope to meet for coffee sometime soon. I suppose the Lord planned for me to work here today instead of going to church, just so she and could meet. She is a Buddhist and says she's looking forward to telling me all about it, but I'm also looking forward to telling her all about Jesus! I need to do a lot of praying beforehand, that the Lord will prepare her heart and also give me lots of wisdom and love for her.

Maybe sometime I should try to hold a get-together for all the people from Dayton that I've met here in Munich. At least I have Sandy Moon (from MICC), Eric Dietz and Muriel Maselli now! Maybe I could call it the Munich Daytonian Society! ;-)

... And now, you're up to date! ;-)

Ciao,
Renee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home