Aslan's Blog

My blog on life, the universe and everything ;-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

An American in Germany...

14 January, 2007

"Lady Madonna"


"Lady Madonna, children at your feet
Wonder how you manage to make ends meet
Who finds the money when you pay the rent
Did you think that money was heaven sent
Friday night arrives without a suitcase
Sunday morning creeping like a nun
Monday's child has learned to tie his bootlace
See how they run
Lady Madonna, baby at your breast
Wonders how you manage to feed the rest
Pa pa pa pa...
See how they run
Lady Madonna lying on the bed
Listen to the music playing in your head
Tuesday afternoon is never ending
Wednesday morning papers didn't come
Thursday night you stockings needed mending
See how they run
Lady Madonna, children at your feet
Wonder how you manage to make ends meet ..."


Whew, what a week! It really seemed just like the Beatles' song above! My department is starting to prepare for a seminar we'll be holding from February 5th thru the 7th, and that means a lot of extra work hours for me and others from now until then. I went into the office for a couple of hours before church today, and will need to be there early again tomorrow if I want to make it to the gym after work.


My busy schedule didn't stop me from attending the lecture on the Big Bang at the Volkshochschule, though! It was very interesting and I liked the teacher, Dr. Steigenberger, a lot. He covered several topics that I had heard about before on Alpha Centauri, a German scientific show I of which I have several episodes on DVD, and it was nice to get some more depth on them. He also suggested several books by Dr. Harald Lesch, the presenter for Alpha Centauri, which I definitely want to read. There are two more lectures in the series, and I am really looking forward to them!


Plugging ahead in "Gödel, Einstein und die Folgen ...", I find it fascinating to compare the histories and personalities of these two men. I must admit I really struggled through chapter 4, describing the prevalent theories in Mathematical Logic at the time that Gödel formulated his Incompleteness Theorems. But this much I understood: his theories seem to have affected mathematics, logic and philosophy in much the same way as Einstein's Theory of Relativity cut the "Gordian knots" in physics and astronomy. (... To be continued...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home